Monday, May 21, 2012

Just Call Me Carrie

I basically grew up with Sex and The City, the first season aired in 1998 and in 1998 I was 21.  Ok, "grew up" isn't quite right, let's say "matured" with it. :) The show was edgy, sexy, risky, fashionable, trendy and as I'm learning now in my 30's...relateable.  I loved the show in my 20's! I wouldn't miss an episode...my girlfriends and I would huddle around our TV's just to soak it up every Sunday night. I always fantasized that is how my life would be after college...living in a big city, surrounded by close girlfriends, drinking cosmos and falling in and out of relationships - seeking my own "Mr. Big".

Obviously, my life didn't quite turn out that way. Or did it? ;)

As I curled up on the couch recently with my coffee and my laptop pondering my next blog post, I saw SATC was on TV. Now, the TV version doesn't hold a candle to the HBO version, but I just have to watch whenever it's on.  I was thrilled to see that I caught the beginning of a 4 episode run. Sitting on the couch, becoming engrossed in the first episode, I found my chest getting tight, my blood pressure rising and I could hear my own heartbeat in my ears. OMG! Am I having a heart attack!?!?  No, not a heart attack, but a full blown physical response to how strongly I was relating to the show.

I took a step back for a moment and reflected on my life currently...I'm in my 30's, living in a city (not big, but it will do), surrounded by close girlfriends, drinking wine (sorta our thing here in Pinot country) and falling in and out of relationships - maybe even found my own "Mr. Big" [Hey baby!] (or Harry or Smith or Steve).

The men that the women of SATC have relationships with are also very relateable. I don't think I could say I'd pick one of the men over the other, but would want someone who embodies many characteristics of each [..and I think I have!]

While the final episode was wrapping up, I found myself relating to each of the characters in some way. I wouldn't say I'm one character more than another, I'm bits and pieces of each rolled into one.

Charlotte: Traditional, romantic and straightforward about relationships
Samantha: Proud, confident and highly sexual woman
Miranda: Type A, career-minded and voice of reason
Carrie: Led by emotions, seeks acceptance, selfish and a writer

I think all women have a bit of these characters in them and each one warrants appropriate times to be channeled and used in life. I am thankful to SATC for giving me a show that will be timeless and relevant in my life. I truly do love how relateable it is right now. I am going to need to get all the seasons from my sister again and just dive back into it!

XOXO,
T

1 comment:

  1. I am totally Charlotte, even though I wish I was Carrie :) reading this makes me sad we moved... You were so much fun to be around!

    ReplyDelete