Monday, January 23, 2012

SOA & Born to Raise a Boy

This post requires a bit of an intro, so please bear with me (but I'm sure if you are a return reader, you know I don't really get to the point quickly - and for that I'm sorry). LOL!! :)

Let me first start by saying this...if you haven't seen the TV show Sons of Anarchy I STRONGLY urge you to stop what you are doing (well of course after you finish reading this amazing blog entry) and subject yourself to the show ASAP! When I first heard about the show from J he was telling me about "Outlaw Tuesdays" and this show SOA. Guns, drugs, sex, violence, power-struggle, betrayal, family loyalty and motorcycle gangs. :| I thought, "Um, seriously!? Why would I want to watch a show like that?!? I'm a Sex and the City kind of gal."  But because it was early on when J and I were still just getting to know each other, I humored him and told him I'd watch an episode with him. [You're right babe - one of the best shows ever!]. We turned on OnDemand and watched an episode, I believe it was smack-dab in the middle of Season 4. I was lost and confused, but admittedly curious to see more. J hooked me up with NetFlix so I could start from Season 1. Immediately hooked is an understatement. I'm pretty sure I watched almost ALL of Season 1 in one sitting. I was up until the wee hours of the morning just to see what happens next (and this is exactly why I don't read to fall asleep - doesn't work). From a critic point of view, it has excellent acting, writing, great story line, superior cast, suspense and drama to keep you coming back for more.  From a female point of view - O.M.G. ...eye-candy galore!! It's sexy, dirty and sort of makes you feel wrong for watching, but like a train wreck...you can't look away...I love it!


J and I just finished catching up on Season 3, and (now please bear with me) there was a scene of the main character making out with - what he doesn't know is - his half sister. Well, both the moms walk in and catch them, walk out and decide they need to tell them they are related.  The scene cuts to the girl and her mom. The girl is shocked, crying and, being a girl myself I know, she was filling her mind with all the "what if's", "how could you's" and "what will everyone think's". She's crying and wanting to know why?  The scene cuts again to the guy and his mom and it's this hilarious moment of "dang mom, I almost did it with my sister!" He's kinda giggling and they share this funny mother/son moment. As I sat on the couch watching these two scenes I thought to myself, "This is exactly why I am thankful I'm raising a boy. I don't think I could deal with that other situation." Wrong, I know. Again, just how I'm wired. ;)

I knew from the moment I started thinking about having children I hoped I would have a boy. Now, don't get me wrong, I think just about every woman wants to have a little girl so you can do the cute hair, tu-tu's, dresses, shoes - all that girlie stuff (don't lie to yourselves ladies...you know you do... and that OK...I still do on some level). I would think about what it would be like to raise a version of ME and to try to help a girl get through all of what life holds as a girl and I knew there was NO WAY I'd be able to succeed at that.  When I found out I was having a boy, I was so relieved. Now, there was (and still are) moments of panic..."I don't know what to do with a boy! I don't want to raise a ninny! I don't know much about boy stuff! Am I doing this right?" But as the days/weeks/months/years pass, I learn new stuff about raising a boy daily. I'm becoming a master of Transformers, knowledgeable in all things dinosaurs, learning to cook/clean/go to the bathroom while dodging Nerf bullets and trying not to question what substance is on his hands - just insist he washes them, brushes his teeth, flushes the toilet and don't run with your pants around your ankles.

I think the Universe/God/Fate (you pick one, or add your own depending on your beliefs) knows what you are cut out to do and will give you just that. I believe I was born to raise a boy. 


I always say, "Everyday I don't kill him or let him kill himself is a successful day as a parent!"


Salud,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment